Program Learning Outcomes

Program learning outcome 

Ability to digest the principles of Human Rights and social justice

Graduates will demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the historical development, philosophical foundations, and core principles of human rights and social justice

Demonstrate knowledge, through experiential learning, of key human rights and social justice issues locally, nationally, and/or globally. 

I am  able to comprehend human rights ideas in order to promote a fair and just world community. A thorough comprehension includes the philosophical underpinnings, historical evolution, and fundamental ideas that support the notion of human rights.

Human rights have historically changed as a result of battles for equality and justice, which have been influenced by significant occasions like the 1948 adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. I needed to understand this historical background in order to understand the difficulties encountered in the continued pursuit of universal human rights.

Foundation of human rights course served as a good base for to understand basic human right, violation and evolution.

Human rights are fundamentally based on ideas like freedom, equality, and dignity. It was important for me to understand how these ideas interact especially in the pursuit against gender inequality. Also Understanding the interdependence of civil, political, economic, social, and cultural rights as well as the obligations of people, governments, and the global community are necessary for this.

Creatively engage in finding solutions to issues of justice and fairness in contemporary society at a community, provincial, national, and/or global level. 

My practical activism was motivated by taking the master in human rights and social justice, particularly Problem Solving in the Field: Study Techniques and Methods course especially in light of gender inequality. It showed possiblity of change in the system, that it might not come easy or fast I may want but with countinous work it is possible.

This influenced me to do research papers specifically created to address the systemic injustices against women that exist throughout the world. I participated in operational activism by strategically incorporating relevant concerns into your academic endeavors and also volunteer to help people experiencing sexual violence, which are mostly women.

My research topics were

“Indigenous Women and Social Justice: A study of Sexual Violence, Racial killing and Policing in Canada”

“Girl marriage in the Northern part of Nigeria Discrimination of women in politics in Nigeria”

“Impacts of sexual violence on women and children, study of theRwanda  genocide”

My research work were carefully selected to emphasize the problems that women around the world, have experienced historically and currently. Through an analysis of the societal, economic, and political aspects, I facilitated an all-encompassing comprehension of the complex nature of gender-based inequalities.

At the same time, I deliberately designed my research projects to add to the conversation around women’s rights. By exploring discriminatory regulations, societal norms, or institutional hurdles, among other things, my study actively sought to identify the underlying causes of gender-based injustices. I produced empirical evidence by carefully recording and evaluating data, which might guide programs and policies aimed at improving the lot of women around the world.

I have consistently committed to elevating the voices of marginalized women in my written work, whether it be articles or research papers. My purposeful use of language and phrasing was to highlight how urgent the issues at hand are. By using an intersectional lens, I made sure that my activism was inclusive and representative by taking into account the varied experiences of women from various backgrounds.

In summary, my deliberate strategy to integrating gender-based injustice concerns into my research demonstrates my dedication to operational activism. by using the academic community as a platform for advocacy. 

I’m now a volunteer at the Kamloops Sexual Assault Counseling Center, helping victims of sexual assault, because of my practicum. Thankful for the chance to help people in need and have a positive influence. passionate about using counseling and support services to improve the quality of life in my community.

I think we can all play important roles in furthering the cause of gender equality through activism, research, and education.

Demonstrate leadership in recognizing, respecting, and advancing the value of intercultural understanding and worldviews regarding human and environmental diversity. 

The training has played a significant role in helping me, as an immigrant who moved to Canada, grasp important concepts that are essential in the Canadian environment. In addition to broadening my perspectives, the thorough coverage of diversity, ethnological issues, and the intergenerational trauma experienced by indigenous people has given me vital knowledge that will surely impact my interactions and engagement within Canada’s multicultural landscape.

Indigenous way of knowing class introduced to me to the culture of the indigenous peoples specifically the secwecpemec people through drum making and story telling. It also helped me understand their struggle and how intergenerational trauma continue to affect them.

Diversity is fundamental to Canadian society, and this course has given me a sophisticated understanding of its many facets. I now have a better understanding of the mosaic of cultural and linguistic diversity as well as variations in religious practices and beliefs that make up Canada. This knowledge will be essential to developing deep relationships and cooperative efforts as I assimilate into the various communities that comprise the fabric of Canadian society.

My study has focused heavily on ethnological issues, which have shed light on the historical and current struggles that many ethnic communities in Canada confront. My understanding of the nuances of identity and belonging in a multicultural country has grown as a result of learning about the experiences of many populations, including their contributions, hardships, and resiliency. With this understanding, I am more equipped to interact with the diverse range of cultures that coexist in Canada and promote unity among them.

The investigation of intergenerational trauma among indigenous people has been one of the most influential aspects of my research to far. It has been eye-opening to see the historical injustices and their ongoing effects on indigenous populations. My comprehension of the interplay between historical occurrences, including cultural displacement and residential schools, has given me a deep understanding of the difficulties that indigenous people now confront. This understanding forms the basis for empathy and cultural sensitivity, which are crucial components in establishing polite connections with the communities of First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people.

This knowledge of intergenerational trauma motivates me to participate in efforts at reconciliation and make a constructive contribution to the current discussion on indigenous rights and the preservation of cultural heritage moving forward. It inspires me to be an ally in the fight for justice, equity, and the recognition of indigenous perspectives. It is more than just an intellectual exercise,It gives me the confidence to approach conversations with cultural humility, understanding how important it is to recognize and honor the historical and modern narratives that have shaped Canada.